Saturday 13 June 2009

Day 1 - It's Not A Race

So I'm sitting in the Killarney Court Hotel following a 79 mile cycle and my bum is, to be honest, a little bit sore! But I'm now a fifth of the way there! And a lot closer to home than I was a few hours ago!

I now know that most of the guys here are possibly part-time Tour de France types, and even though the phrase "It's not a race" is widely used, it's not widely adhered too! So I've continued my slower plod miles behind everyone else! Everytime we take a break, I cut mine short and take off just to get a mile or two ahead before everyone passes me again!

So following a long journey down yesterday, we arrived at our hotel and headed off for a bite to eat before retiring to bed in anticipation of the day that lay ahead. Mizen is actually my new definition of the back-ar$e of nowhere, and so by the time we got there we didn't set off until half 10! Up through County Cork and into County Kerry by travelling through the Caha mountains and through Moll's Gap. Two big climbs (for me anyway!) but what a rush coming down them! The villages down here are lovely, especially the ones right on the coast. If time was no object I would definitely have spent some more time down here, especially in Glengariff, Bantry and a few others. Though I might bring food with me, as these places are all tourist spots, and the prices are sometimes pretty wild!

So key facts from today's ride (I got a cycle computer and have nearly got it working 100%):
- Top Speed - 38.7mph (I thought I was going to die)
- Avg Speed - 13.8mph
- Total Distance - 79 miles (wrong turn in Killarney town!)

Hope all is well in the North with everyone! Thank you to everyone who has texted and wished me luck and said a wee prayer, I flippin' need them!

Much love,

Dave

No comments: