Tuesday 16 March 2010

The Big Belfast Run

It's now 9 months since I completed my Big Cycle, and it still seems like only yesterday. Over 400 miles within 5 days, from the south to the north. With your support together we were able to raise over £1,800 to go to two projects in Uganda and Zambia! An amazing total you'll agree.

Following the cycle last year I got married, and whilst adjusting to the many changes that married life brings, the change from lean mean cycling machine, to contented couch potato has been quite dramatic. So the thought of completing any charity event, other than marathon XBox sessions, has been few and far between.

However, that was until my friend Annalisa was telling me more about Oasis Village Trust. This is a charity working in Ndola, Zambia, and is ran by Ziso & Nicki Moyo. Nicki is from here, and they are currently involved with an amazing project to house up to 60 orphans. The project is fantastic, and you can go on their website and read more about what they have been involved in. So as a result, I have taken on another challenge. I am going to run the Belfast City Marathon. Yes, the full thing. 26.4miles of pain, tears and sweat. Some might not think this is such a difficult task, but given how I could barely run the length of myself 6 weeks ago, it's really quite a challenge!

I am actually more anxious about the Big Run than I was over the Big Cycle. Aside from the inevitable comments about my insanity and stomach size, I would really appreciate it if you would kindly support me in this challenge as you all did so generously last year. Together we can play a small part in creating a future for children and young people in Zambia.

You can sponsor me by clicking on the Justgiving link to the right of the page.

Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, training advice, or just want to let me know you're laughing at me!

Yours gratefully,

Dave

No comments: