Wednesday 7 March 2007

School For Wannabe Bad Boys




So at the risk of making my blog sound like a regular film guide, I just want to make mention I went to see School of Scoundrels last night, and I don't know.

Some good scenes (esp. the paintballing), some good lines ("Just look at me , I'm amazing"), and a good cast (BBT and JH, and a cameo by BS), but it just didn't strike me as being all that great. It's a remake of a 1960s film of the same title, and by all accounts, was a very good film. The modern day remake however, just doesn't really cut it with me. And I like daft comedies!

Maybe it's my film tastes have become more refined, or my desire to see more solid performances, better cinematography and well crafted plot lines, that I did not find this as funny as I expected. I have attended the cinema once a week for the last four weeks (twice to see Blood Diamond - leave your computer at once and go see this film as it is amazing), and am thoroughly loving Crazy Tuesdays at the Moviehouse and Wacky Wednesdays at the Strand. However lately I am seeking more now for films that stir my imagination and soul, that actually inspire me to get out of the cinema and to go somewhere or do something.

Like the new film Amazing Grace that is coming out to commemorate the abolition of the slave trade. But in reality, the slave trade was never abolished, just transformed. William Wilberforce (what a name) was only one man who persuaded his friends, and eventually a nation, to wise up and see the injustice of what was happening. What is stopping us from being a generation of wilberforces? The Bible tells us that God works through us to make us a force to be reckoned with, and by Him we can do anything.

I reckon it's going to be a film that stirs your soul, and this of course, is what movies should do.

No comments: